• Naoshi will be creating a live Sunae (sand art) piece to demonstrate the techniques she uses in her art.
• A collection of Naoshi’s artwork will be on exhibition to accompany the event. And there will be other sweet treats on hand for the evening!
Visit the Hellion Gallery website for directions.
• Naoshi will have other items for sale including do-it-yourself Sunae kits so people can create their own art using Sunae, post cards, and prints.
• This is a great opportunity for children and adults to get introduced to a new art form and see how its made. Meet Naoshi, buy a signed copy of the book and her other items.
KOBO at Higo is located at 602-608 South Jackson, Seattle, WA.
Beginning on Saturday, November 14th, the Chin Music Press showroom is hosting “The Tall Trees” print show, featuring works from artists featured in the books The Tall Trees of Tokyo and The Tall Trees of Portland by Matt Wagner, curator and owner of Portland’s Hellion Gallery. Stop by the Chin Music Press store in Pike Place Market to experience works from artists from both of these cities at this art print showcase! And while you’re there, be sure to check out the great books published by Chin Music Press. All of Overcup Press’s titles will be for sale throughout the print show.
Chin Music Press Showroom is located at 1501 Pike Place, #329.
On Sunday, November 15th, Naoshi will be at Screaming Sky Gifts signing books. Stop in, meet the author and get a signed copy of Ice Cream Work, a lovely, surreal picture book for readers of all ages.
Screaming Sky is located at 2025 NE Alberta St., Portland, OR. Click here for more information about the event.
We can’t think of a better place to check out Naoshi’s new picture book, Ice Cream Work, than at an Ice Cream shop! Naoshi drew inspiration for her book from one of her favorite sweet treats – Ice Cream! The story of a human/ice cream cone hybrid will leave kids and parents wanting a scoop of one of Ruby Jewel’s seasonal flavors.
• Using shiny colorful sand, which is called Sunae in Japan, Naoshi used Sunae art to create the story of Ice Cream Work.
• Naoshi will be at Ruby Jewel creating artwork made from shiny, colorful sand. This process is called Sunae in Japanese.
• Guests can purchase a personalized, signed copy of Ice Cream Work.
• There will be do-it-yourself Sunae kits for purchase. These kits cover all levels of difficulty from extremely simple to more challenging. What better way to learn than from a master?
Overcup Press is an independent book publisher based in Portland, Oregon. We are committed to making books that will thrive in the 21st Century. We specialize in producing unique titles that have a strong design element and illuminate the niches.
Patrick McDonald is the founder and publisher of Overcup Press. He leads the creative vision of Overcup, working closely with authors, featured artists, designers and editors. He holds an M.A. in publishing from Portland State Univeristy and is also co-author of Classroom Publishing, A Practical Guide for Teachers – 2nd Edition (Ooligan Press, 2010).
Rachel Bell is co-founder and vp marketing/pr at Overcup Press. Rachel is responsible for everyday operations, marketing, and PR – bringing her expertise and experience in business and marketing to the team.
Overcup Press Submissions Policy
Please click here to read our submissions policy.
For select bulk orders and discounts outside of the retail book trade (eg: organizations, special sales), contact email@example.com or call (971) 248-0716.
Overcup Press is distributed by SCB Distributors and our titles are also available through all major book wholesalers in North America.